Re: VMWare player

Dear Kari

Yes, that is an interesting option too. I shall have to give it some
thought.

Best wishes

Paul

On 21/02/2016 18:04, Kari Eveli wrote:
 Dear Paul, It is most definitely a matter of how you do things. VMware is good at running heavier operating systems like XP. Hence the mix of guest operating systems affects one's preferences as to the virtualization platform of choice. In my own setup, I am leaning more to the opposite direction of what you describe as the vision of things to come. Let me explain a bit. I could perhaps see myself using Windows 7 64-bit in the remote future, that is when it is no more actively supported, as the host without actual internet activity relegating these activities to a current Linux virtual machine. When I used extensively a Win 3.1 virtual machine for Xy and Windows 3.1 programs like Quark, I used to think that all key activities needed to be in a virtual machine. That meant struggling with old DOS utilitites to maintain this environment, and trying to find supplementary programs for the Win 3.1 environment like text editors (16-bit TextPad 3.2.5 excels in this arena). Now that I am less dependent on Virtual PC 2007 DOS/Win 3.1., I find myself editing certain things on the host from within VirtualBox W2K and outputting the results directly to the host system for FTP transfer, etc. While virtual machines need to be complete and maintained like any other operating environments, there is rarely the need to use, e.g., only the W2K environment to accomplish tasks. As a matter of policy, I think the parts of the system that are under attack by viruses and other malicious activities should be in a dispensable virtual machine acting as a buffer. They should never be the core components of the operating environment. The current design of Windows is flawed. Having a browser that is deeply intertwined with core components of the operating environment is a poor design decision. Modularity and isolation of exposed components should be implemented. Windows has a long way to go to qualify as a mature operating system. It needs a complete overhaul. Win10 is not the solution, something better and radically different is needed. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/