 From ???@??? Tue Aug 14 15:15:25 2007 --- I think the time and date is
optional

You may or may not also need:
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:54:57 -0700
Subject: Blah blah
The headers should be separated by a blank line (carriage-return plus line-feed) from the body of the email. But there should be no blank lines within the header section.
The .TOC files are not editable. But if you don't have one at all, or if
you mess one up, Eudora will ask you if it can re-index the mailbox. Let it
do that and it almost always gets it right (sometimes its index may leave
out one or more improperly headered emails in a batch of them, which is why
you might make a copy of the .MBX file before letting it re-index it).
Bottom line: editing .MBX files (or creating them from scratch) in XyWrite
is safe and easy.
BTW, if you ever have problems with Eudora, I've found they can always be
solved by quitting Eudora and re-launching it.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx