Re: Xy3+ in w2k

flash wrote:
Y'all,

Bob Ashley, who started this thread, has been joined by Philip Friedman,
re getting Xy3+ to run rapidly in w2k. Bob is away from his desk this
week, so I'll take up the cudgels next week with them both.

Thank you. Not having used III in years, I was out of my depth. I'll
send you, off list, Bob's startup.int file and files listing the
directories of his two setups; as I said, I'm not sure about the
larger directory structure, but think that may be the source of some
of the problems.

If Bob also has printer problems, I'll steer him to the archives, where
this topic must have been exhaustively explored before; as I never print
from Xy, I did not follow those threads.

I've done some searching of the archives myself, and did not find
anything relevant: he's got a Canon BJ printer connected to LPT1 with
a parallel cable, with a driver that worked before and no problems
printing from Windows. He gets a path not found message (and I suspect
directory structure problems are causing that).

Since XyIII doesn't have settings.dfl, isn't it more dependent on a
path statement to keep track of its own directory? 4 can generally
find itself, although I'm not the best person to testify on that,
because with four Windows partitions on my hard drive, I can be logged
into three directories (CD d:\xy4 before I even launch Xy; CD
e:\wkingdir--i.e., whichever one of my data directories I intend to
work in; and CD f:\somedir, if I need to access my utilities drive at)
once.

That is, of course, yet another reason to partition. Otherwise, you
have to give Xy--and most other DOS apps--fully qualified paths to all
your files. Say xy is in C:\Xy, and all your data is (where Big
Brother Bill, in his infinite wisdom, thinks it should be) in
C:\MyDocu~1. So if you want to call a file from Xy you must either
first set Xy's dir into the path or else, e.g., CA
C:\myDocu~1\Gram&CED\foreign\codes\specchar.txt. But if Xy is in D:
and your data on e:, then just
d:
cd d:\xy4
editor
before launching, and then, on Xy's CmLine
Cd e:\Gram&CED\foreign\codes
and then
CA e:sometext.txt
I have a couple of U2 frames to automate changing to my more often
used data directories.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx