Re: 7 vs 8.1

Well, this is an interesting concept. I now dual boot into either Win 7
-64bit or Win 7 -32bit. But maybe it would be preferable to make the Win 7
32 into a VM *within* the 64 bit machine. One benefit I can think of is
that I could then backup *the entire VM* which is usually in just one file,
by a simple copy operation.

But I wonder if there would be a speed degredation (I have an SSD and an i5
processor).

And if I could get my head around it, I think I could clone a bootable
version of either machine by doing it from inside the other. (What I do now
is use an external drive duplicator, but that requires removing the SSD
from the machine and placing in the "toaster" (duplicator). Not onerous,
because I have a Lenovo laptop with a port replicator, so it's physically
quite simple.

Anyone tried running W7 within W7 in this way?

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Bill and Jordan, I very much agree with Jordan. For doing effortless virtualizing, you generally need at least 8 GB of RAM, an SSD and a fast processor. To do safe browsing you can set up an operating system and a browser yourself or use a ready-made virtual appliance. The following solution needs relatively few resources as it is based on Linux. You only need to install VMWare Player and this download to do safe browsing with Firefox and optional Flash. Overview: https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/browser-appliance#.VccOHPnuo7E Download: http://browser.shell.tor.hu/ Support for this at: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/266213?start=0&tstart=0 Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** Lexitec in English: http://www.lexitec.fi/english.html Home page in Finnish: http://www.lexitec.fi/ 8.8.2015, 20:03, J R FOX wrote:
I really don't want to disagree with Kari, who provides us with so much good info here, but my take is that it depends. You might need an unusually powerful laptop to do a VM well. VMs do impose enough of an overhead to noticeably degrade performance. Routine operations will slow down. The rule of thumb for avoiding or minimizing this used to be at least 8 Gigs of RAM and a fast processor. (A 5400 speed HDD on a laptop won't cut it, either.) However, I'm hearing that some of today's laptops have gone over to SSDs, rather than the older style laptop hardrives ? That should help. If your laptop is not up to the challenge, Win 8.1 might indeed be the more appropriate answer **for you. ** Jordan