Subject: Re: keyboard glitch, late of ill repute, still there

Robert Holmgren writes (3 Dec 2002 02:02:36)

> I loaded your misbehaving KBD file, but could not reproduce the problem. . . .
> Make a *copy* of your "good" KBD file.  CAll the copy, and your "bad" file, into adjacent windows.  One by one, I would replace whole tables, from key 1 to 105, copying them from the bad file to the copy of the good file

> After *each* individual table is installed, command "LDKBD newfilename.KBD", and test the single/double quote phenomenon. . . .  Keep adding tables.  If it suddenly malfunctions, then at least you've located the lousy TABLE.  If it happened, say, on the 5th TABLE, what I would do, is reverse gears, restore the good TABLE, LDKBD that and make sure it works (prove the hypothesis), then take TABLEs 6 through 10 from the bad file and plug them in, LDKBD that and make sure *that* works -- if it does, and it probably will, you've at least isolated the problem.  Now just scale down and replace ten *keys* at a time, from bad to good, in TABLE 5 only, and LDKBD and test each time.  You get the idea...Standard debugging practice, is all it is . . . .

> When you find the 10 keys that screw up, scale down to *one* key (or
two, or three) at a time.  Keep narrowing down, until bingo. . . . DeFine & wipe the good TABLE, DeFine and CoPy the bad, LDKBD, test, boom boom boom.
. . . What *may* happen, is that you'll go through this procedure, never find an error, and end up with a good KBD table!  In which case, delete the original bad file:  it's got a gremlin.

>Then send a msg to the list and detail your finding!<

Thank you very much for this lucid prescription, which I will follow and detail my findings, though that may take a while because of other commitments.

Bruce