Re: Deleting files

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Wed, 5 May
2004 17:46:50 -0400

> On 5/2/04, Robert Holmgren wrote ≪DELTREE is bundled with W98, but not
> NT (nor W95, IIRC).≫

> Win95 C (the last OSR release; command.com dated 8/24/96) does have it,
> complete with /Y switch to suppress the request for confirmation on
> subdirs.

Thanks. I implied, but didn't spell out, that the RMDIR command of NT (2K, XP)
is a complete replacement for DELTREE:

RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
/S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
  in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a directory
  tree.
/Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S

And it should work under 9x if you use the KMD.EXE command processor, because I
think (?) RMDIR is built in to the command processor (i.e. not a freestanding
util). Somebody please give it a try with a dummy directory! From XyWrite,
the command would be:

 DOS/NV/Z /C KMD /C RD /S /Q [d:]\path
or more succinctly
 DOS/NV/Z /C KMD/C RD/S/Q [d:]\path