Re: upgrade?

John Paul Newport wrote:

> I gather from what I've read on this list (I'm a newbie) that XyWrite 4 for
> DOS is the preferred version.

Some say yes (and I'm one); others disagree.

> I currently have XyWrite 3+. Is it worth my
> while to upgrade?

If you're doing straight text processing, probably not.

> If so, should I go with XY 4 or consider XyWrite for
> Windows?

The former.

> Here are my particulars: I've been quite happy with 3+ for many, many
> years, but now I'm being asked to convert files to Word a lot, and I gather
> that's easier using the filters that come with XY4. That's the only urgent
> reason I myself can think of to upgrade to XY4.

Do you have a version of Word loaded on your computer? If so, what
version?
If you have Winword 6.0 or above, try opening your XyWrite file in
Winword, and see if it will convert it for you automatically. My
suspicion is it will port over but you will find ≪MDUL≫ et al. intead
of underlines. Or whatever.

If this fails, you will, I would imagine, have to follow the procedures
already described in detail and well by Prime Minister Sivin and
Education Minister Holmgren.

> The one reason I can
> think of to upgrade to XY for Windows is simply to be inside the Windows
> environment, which might give me slightly quicker access to other
> applications, like my web browser.

You can run DOS versions through Windows. There are several different
ways to accomplish this feat. Read your Windows manual, please.

> But maybe these are flawed reasons. And undoubtedly there are many other
> reasons to upgrade that I just can't think of.

As I said, depends on what your going to do.

> My concern is, how much sophistication do I really need?  I am a
> professional writer, and I do spend hours and hours a day at my computer
> writing. But what I write is mostly just straightforward text for magazine
> articles and, now, a book. No tables, no indexes, no envelope printing, no
> massive boilerplate file massing, etc. (I would, however, like a good
> automatically-indenting outlining feature.)

I do not believe, on the basis of what you've just stated, that an
upgrade will do you all that much good, although you certainly will have
better memory management with version 4 for DOS. Current version is
4.17, I do believe.

> If it makes a difference to know, my computer is an old 486 with 33 mhgz
> processor and 200 meg hard drive (though within a year or two I plan to
> upgrade).

That should serve you well enough until you get around to upgrading.
considering what you do with your machine.

> And HOW do I upgrade? Where to I get the merchandise?

You get XyWrite from the Technology Group. If you are asking for advice
on what kind of computer to purchase, well: everybody has their
favorite. I am partial to Gateway 2000.

> All random comments and advice appreciated.

Hope this helps.

Best,

--
Leslie Bialler