Unbalanced Wildcard searches

Hi,

I have text (actually API function calls of the following format:

notify()
subscribe()
unsubscribe()

etc.
I've been using Xywrite to put in mark up codes that a filter I use will translate to another format. I'm trying to take the above text and transform it into something like the following:

notify()<$Inotify,api:notify>
subscribe()<$Isubscribe,api:subscribe>
unsubscribe<$Iunsubscribe,api:unsubscribe>
I tried to use the Alt+Shift+W wildcard with the cva command in the following format
(W is the Alt_Shift+W character):

cva |W()|W()<$IW,api:W|
When i did this i got a message stating that there need to be the same number of wildcard characters on both sides.
Is there a way to do this with the wild cards or is there a way to do
this with other of the Xywrite programs?

Thank you for your time,

Russ