Fw: Fw: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

----- Original Message -----
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx href="xywrite@xxxxxxxxxywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: new pc finally arrived and have to make decisions-help

> It's almost unimaginable to me that you have no need to fetch Email, check a fact on the
>"web, do research, Lex-Nex, whatever.
Since all my lexis and westlaw downloads are pure text and when writing I am either referring to them or hard copy of documents that were already served till now I have not needed windows when writing but as the courts are forcing electronic filing I will probably be forced into the window world  The state courts in NY are only now beginning to require it and even then not in any meaningful way.  Federal court required it but also requires the service of hard copies as well. In fact my co-counsel in about five cases is still almost computer illiterate and still surviving in Federal Court and relies on me for our computer needs and I am window phobic.

>XP is fine.  Win2K happens to run DOS apps better, but... whatever you're
>comfortable with.

>Another powerful consideration is to be able to back up and restore your Windows registry easily; that is best
>done if the OpSys is on a FAT32 disk -- hence my recommendations earlier.

I am going to install windows 2000 unless it does not have the system restore that is in xp.  I only have an xp book.  Does windows2000 have a system restore.  Is it any different then the one in xp.

I have a "partition magic 5" (in fact it was still in sealed box till I just opened it) Will that work on a windows 2000 or windows xp pc.  There is no reference in the manual to whether it will or will not work and whether it can handle a 250 gig hard drive.  It does say that it works with nt.

since my hard drive is 250gig and I have never used more than 25-30 gigs on any other pc( no games videos photoediting or music or graphics) I plan to divide it into 8 or so logical drives of about 25gigs, I will keep my operating system and window apps on c,   all downloads of software and copies all program cd's on the d drive and data on e.  and lots of empty drives which I am sure will get filled  down road

>NTFS is a much stronger file system than any form of FAT.  It resists
>fragmentation.  It is generally faster -- with large files, MUCH faster.  It is the ?much harder to trash an NTFS disk.  It's self-monitoring for integrity, and
>fixes its own problems.  But, the drawback is, that if you have a system crash
>and need to recover data with a Win98 boot disk, you're out of luck.

 I plan to format about 50 gigs in ntfs to get used to it in light of what Robert wrote concerning g ntfs. would it be better to have two 25 gig drives or one huge 50 gig drive.

Robert Holmgren
mailto:holmgren@xxxxxxxx href="mailto:holmgren@xxxxxxxxholmgren@xxxxxxxx