Re: XX-ratings

OKAnnie:

I am still perplexed. I thought that the discussion was about
the practical issue of how to download files, not sundry abstract
issues more or less related. Can you explain to me what is wrong
with the current arrangement from your point of view:

1. Binary files: available via anonyous FTP from the list server.
For those who do not have access to FTP, files encoded in text
form that can be ordered by email. I have tried UU-encoding,
XX-encoding, and XX-bugging. As you see by the last week's
messages, any of the three work for most people and none works
for all. The least satisfactory is UU-encoding, which often
corrupts in transit over multiple platforms.

2. Text files: can be ordered directly by email.

If you or anyone else can't deal with either 1 or 2, what do you
suggest? If this is a theoretical discussion, I will stop
replying and let those interested continue ad infinitum.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325