Re: Re[2]: insufficient memory msg

Reply to note from "JIM EBERLE" Mon,
 15 Jun 98 16:17:14 -0500

-> Your suggestion about launching Xy 4 with expanded memory of up
-> to 4 megs seemed to work for me only when I launched Xy 4 from
-> the DOS prompt. To do so by clicking on a Windows desktop icon,
-> I believe I have to change the Expanded Memory in Properties to
-> 4096. I was unable to launch Xy 4 by changing the Properties
-> Program screen because it would not accept the Editor/e4000
-> without the .exe.

Jim: It's unlikely that using or omitting the .EXE extension would
make a difference either way. More likely, DOS (Win95 flavor) is
looking for a space between EDITOR and the /e switch. If so, put it
there; it's all the same to Xy.

Note well that the /e switch is useless unless the DOS session in which
you're launching Xy has been configured with expanded memory (a/k/a
EMS, for Expanded Memory Specification). One way to find out is to
issue MEM /C at the DOS prompt before launching XyWrite. If expanded
mem. is present, it should report total EMS and free EMS. Once you're
sure you have expanded mem., launch XyWrite with the /e switch, shell
to DOS from the CMline, and issue MEM /C again. Less free EMS than
before would indicate that some or all available expanded mem. is in
use by Xy. Based on your msg, it would seem that a plain-vanilla DOS-
prompt session has EMS, while by default a session configured through
the Properties dialog doesn't, unless the appropriate box is checked.
I don't know whether that is, in fact, the default behavior, but I
certainly would check the expanded mem. box when configuring Xy through
the menus.

-> Now that I'm into Properties, what can you tell me about the
-> following additional memory settings: Conventional Memory is
-> set on Auto; Initial Environment is set on Auto; Extended
-> Memory is set at 1024 and the Uses HMA box is checked; and the
-> MS-DOS-Protected Memory is set on Auto.

Set Extended Memory to ZERO; Xy doesn't know from it, and any such
memory allocated to Xy is wasted. You want to use the High Memory
Area, so leave that checked. As for the other settings, I haven't
fiddled with them, but, in my limited experience with Win95, Xy behaves
acceptably with those settings on Auto.

I hope this helps.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx