Re: saving to alternative disk directory

Harry Binswanger wrote:
Rafe wrote:
on my netbook, I've configured the little SD card slot as a backup drive
Which netbook do you have? Are these things powerful enough to do
swiftly the kind of tasks we do on "real computers"? I'm not talking
about video editing or music synthesizing. Just web browsing, emailing,
and, of course, Free Cell playing.
pretty much. I'm using an Asus eee PC1000 w/ solid-state disk drive --
think I posted probably to most people's exhaustion back in January when
I got it. I think it was about $300. not sure it's still around, a
quick Googling turns up the Pc1000he model, which has a standard 160g hd.
it came with another Linux flavor pre-installed, but Ubuntu is a popular
and well-documented addition, and one of my goals was to acquire a
familiarity with the OS. Ubuntu performs all those things you mention
quite nicely, with the exception that Mozilla can be a bit slow --
however Google Chrome and some other Linux alternative browsers are
better. Xywrite under Dosemu is the fastest I've ever seen, though it
also uses considerable CPU power & I will probably experiment with
putting Tame on it. very light & durable & reliable, really one of the
best tech purchases I've made.

-rt