Re: xywrite Digest V5 #109

On 11/8/2013 3:15 PM, Jon P wrote:
But...why would you want to do that?
I use XyWrite almost exclusively to edit files that I will subsequently export as LaTeX or HTML files. To export and process a file I press a key combination in XyWrite that executes something like dos/nv/x/z /c cmd.exe /c cp where cp is the external program that will process the file and is the active file in XyWrite. In XP, the program cp is launched (creating the LaTeX file, compiling it, and opening it in a viewer, for example) and control is passed back to XyWrite. I could alternatively run the external program manually. But then I'd have to click a few times to launch the program and type the name of the file I want it to process. The way I have things set up, I press only a single key combination in XyWrite to initiate the process. Martin
------------------------ I suppose that when XyWrite is running in XP Mode, you can exit to DOS by executing dos on the command line. But I assume that from the resulting DOS prompt you can't run programs installed in the real Win7---can you? Martin Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 03:31:56 +0000 From: Bill Troop Subject: Running programs from DOS in VM With VPC on Win 7-64, going to DOS and executing Explorer results in the following: an XP explorer window pops up and, amazingly, 'My Documents' refers to the Win 7 environment. However, XyWrite is now locked into the dos command line. It is frozen. Only once you have closed the process you started (in this case Explorer) will you be able to 'exit' back to XyWrite or invoke another DOS command. This can be nerve-racking if you don't know how to unfreeze.
-- Martin J. Osborne http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/osborne Theoretical Economics, a journal of the Econometric Society http://econtheory.org Follow TE: http://twitter.com/EconTheory PoET http://poet.economics.utoronto.ca