Re: Win 8 v. Win 7

Hello,

"Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool is aligned with the
company's anti-malware engines and signatures, and as such the removal
tool will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015.
However, any PC running Windows XP after April 8, 2014 should not be
considered protected as there will be no security updates for the
Windows XP operating system. "

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

That said, how serious the threat is depends largely on your computing
habits. If you are very careful when surfing and use a good anti-virus
solution and a possibly a firewall, you could continue using XP with
reasonable tranquillity. One possible solution would be to use a
"safe-surfing application" as the one in COMODO Internet Security (even
free edition).

Windows 7 is quite good, but wreaks havoc with an XP setup. A new
installation is needed. I you are not in a hurry, buy a new computer
only when you intend to put it into good use. Hardware rarely matures
like a wine with years, it just gets sour. Advances in Windows may come
with Win 9, so skipping Win 8 might not be a bad idea.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx