Re: va$wn ?

** Reply to note from "..." [adpf@xxxxxxxx> Thu, 30 Jan 97 00:32:27 +0000

Annie asks:

-> Can someone enlighten me as to how to obtain va$nw in xyDos 4?
->	{sx86,{va$nw}} and	{sx86,{vanw}} both freeze mine. ...

Annie: Like Robert, I'm not clear on what you mean by "freeze".
When you say, "A solution that involves the use of va$wa is
unacceptable to me since it precludes use of d nw=0", what is the
problem you're trying to solve? And how does VA$WA preclude D NW=0?

The appeal of VA$WA is that it makes possible a procedure for opening a
new window (and trapping the No Window error 81) that works no
matter what the value of NW:

[SX01,[VA$WA]][IF[PV01]<1][PRNo window][EX][EI]BX (func #)

BTW, though Robert's statement that "the NewWindow default is
established with VANW, and the current NewWindow setting is obtained
from VA$WN" is, in theory, correct (for many default settings, VAxx is
supposed to return the default value, and VA$xx the current value), in
practice I see no difference between VANW and VA$NW. Both values are
always the same, even when the current value of NW is different from
the initial default set, e.g., in SETTINGS.DFL. I have a hazy recollection
 that this non-difference is documented somewhere. In "Making the
Transition", perhaps?

Now, what was the question?

Carl Distefano  * * *