RE: Xy4 Customization Guide (Index) Preview

Well...I'm not COMPLETELY immune to the irony.

I think there's a difference, though, with Xywrite. DOS is DOS (mostly). If you can run DOS, you can
run Xywrite. But these new-fangled M$-centric GUI apps are a whole different kettle of phish.

For instance (and this relates to what I was saying about Adobe's "upgrading" of Reader),
Reader 7 cannot be installed on this NT4 machine I'm using. The install program stops dead, calls me
an anachronist, and refuses to go any further. In theory, you wouldn't think there's that much
difference between NT4 and XP...not like the difference between win9x and NTx...but there you have
it. In this Wide World of Windose, you're going to HAVE TO keep up or you won't be able to play with
 the other children, if nothing else because of all the security "features" you won't
have...nobody will talk to you.

The question for our own little Anachronist Society is how much further into the future will we be
able to "ride along" with DOS. I'm assuming full 64-bit systems will be the end of the
ride. Unless DOS is an important enough tool to enough people, then maybe it will get upgraded. I
hope I'm wrong, but I don't really see that happening. It's not that we won't be able to cobble
together systems we CAN run on, though. XyWrite's going to be around awhile longer, I think.

-BH

-----Original Message----- From: Flash Weldon

Brian wrote

Ah, hemmm, aren't _we_ the very people trying to hang on to our lovable
DOS editor forever?