Indexing programs/colors

Good morning again, Harry ... and apologies to rest of list ... don't read
further, if you're bored by this subject!
I just thought of a PS to last message ... so copied pertinent part here,
and here is the PS:
This block of data that I turn a color .... it is BOTH active and inactive.
It is inactive in that it isn't the data I am editing to improve. It is
active as raw data for keyword searches. I have a utility "findall" that
finds all instances of a keyword in this main-file, and plops them into a
temp file. Does not ignore any text no matter how I've color coded it.
(Simple example to illustrate use of this ... say I'm editing a main entry
of "taxes" ... if I do a "findall tax" I pop out all lines that might be
helpful to me in building a complete entry for taxes .... like, if I had
entered "Real estate" as a main entry, and "property taxes" as a subentry
.... I'll get all "taxes" in raw format in this temp file, and can append it
to my subfile probably named "taxes.bb" (bb a project code) .... and voila,
I probably have gathered all the raw data on taxes that I need, to have a
complete entry .... or I could do a "findall IRS" ... etc. etc. etc.

End of PS.

Marge wrote:
I turn this initial-raw-data a distinctive color, so that when I land in
it during a search, I know this is "inactive" data
Harry wrote:
Do you know about   and  codes? Perhaps they would be
easier to use for inactive text, rather than changing the color.

Marge replied:
Changing the color works for me easily .... instant with a macro (or
whatever they're called in XyWrite .. I forget) .... I have not "studied"
XyWrite actively in a long long time .... because I thought that I had to
move forward and get away from it .... I changed that mindset, and am now
going to try to keep it working for me forever ... ten years not long enough
(some other message mentioned ten years) ... remember Y2K? ... of course Y2K
wasn't a problem because even though not anticipated soon enough for there
to be no problem at all, it was anticipated soon enough to avert
catastrophic problems ...I digress, sorry ....

I looked up "ni" command and found myself inside a section of XyWrite manual
I hadn't thought about in almost 20 years ... embedded indexing of a XyWrite
document ... wow ... makes some brain cells churn ....

My work involves indexing from hardcopy printer-ready page proofs ....
sometimes I have PDFs, but not always. I am not indexing a XyWrite document.
I am using XyWrite as my platform for creating an index from page proofs --
same way we used to do it with index cards .....

But you make me think. Hmm.... when I have PDFs, would it feasible to
convert them to XyWrite and index from this document? Now, embedded
indexing is much harder than they way I work .. and I've never had to do it
.. but in certain books it might be something to think about .... the
advantage of embedded indexing, of course, is to the publisher .... index
automatically changes if text repaged ..... like going from hardback to
paperback .... . but I can't see that applicable here ... hmmm though ....
But very interesting and something for me to think about ....

The final product that I send to my client is a Word file, just a regular
typed index. (I typed features/attributes that I needed in Word, created an
RTF, and looked at that RTF in XyWrite, to see what the codes were. Wrote a
XyWrite program to make an RTF ... that is just a long string of CI's.
Worked the first time. XyWrite amazes.)

I love the system I have now .... as long as I can see the cursor ....