Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Robert wrote:
If everybody was already portable, it would be
a piece of cake. And EVERYBODY *should* already be portable!
Here's a wild idea. Put an *active* portable Xy up on the web. That is,
what I have in mind would look like this to the user. From any computer, he
launches a browser, goes to some site, and by doing something or other (a
lot of hand-waving here) he runs XyWrite remotely. So what he experiences
is as if Xy were running on his local machine, but what he's actually doing
is running Xy on the remote server.
Since Xy files are small relative to server-storage space, maybe we could
each have our own personal .KBD, .DFL, .INT and whatever else we want (U2,
XPL) stored on the server, too. If storage space does turn out to be a
limitation, we could each store our personal files on our own web sites,
and somehow "call" them from the main site.
Obviously, I'm talking over my head here in terms of how this could or
couldn't be done. But the idea is that the web serves as your computer, for
Xy operation (or does so at least when you're on the road).
Second best might be storing a portable Xy for downloading, and operating
locally from anywhere. That might be a good redundancy for having a
portable Xy on CD.

Either this is nuts or a great idea. You tell me.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx