Re: Two or more Xys open

Robert wrote:
You make a change in foobar.txt in Xy1, and BEFORE you "scroll down"
(whatever that means) or switch to making edits in Xy2, you SAVE your changes
in Xy1.
Hmm, now that I have thought about this, different spatial positions for
different, simultaneously viewable Xy files is why I wanted this scheme of
two Xy iterations in the first place! In working with one Xy on the left
monitor and one on the right, I won't get confused about which is which,
even if I'm working on two very similar files. For example, at present, I'm
trying to make a new, optimal version of an essay by synthesizing the best
formulations in two earlier, slightly different versions of it. This could
benefit from having 3 Xy iterations open (remember, I have dual monitors,
so I have room for this.
 Note that even if you are working
at the top of the document in Xy1, and way down at the bottom of the document
in Xy2, your cursor will remain where it is -- the "view" of the document or
the current page will remain the same -- in each iteration (or roughly so,
allowing for the added or subtracted text involved in the edit).

Cool.
You don't need flags or warning clutter. You just don't leave an iteration
without saving first. If you forget ... well, next time you won't forget. It
is NOT a difficult habit to cultivate! I hit the save key every 30 seconds max
*anyway*. Second nature.

Right.
What this does is offer a truly unique method of toggling between two distant
parts (or formatted and unformatted views! draft or expanded vs. graphical
mode [in fullscreen]!) of one file. U2 frames SBS (SideBySide) and TWOSCReen
let you move, with a keystroke, between two separate parts of a document, but
they don't allow you to see the same file in two separate windows,
simultaneously. I don't think even MSWord can accomplish this. *And* keep
them mutually updated or synchronized.
What would help in my particular work is if I could use ctrl= and ctrl+
between two different Xy iterations. That way, I could more easily see
where my formulations in one version of the essay differ from those in the
other (since the two versions--and we're talking two different files
here--are basically the same). Is that feasible? Can Xy 1 compare its
contents to what's open in Xy 2? I suppose I could write a non-Xy, DOS
program to do the comparisons and shell out to DOS in Xy 1 to execute it.
But could it be done in XPL w/o shelling to DOS? I don't see how the XPL
code in one Xy could "know about" what's going on in another Xy iteration.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx