Re: Non-XyW: WD-40 & counterparts (was: re Northgate keyboards)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 13:19:47 -0500, Jane Van Tassel wrote:

>No, I don't have electronic applications in mind. I simply need a
household
>lubricant (two of the numerous specific applications would be unjamming
>yale-lock keyholes and smoothing the operation of very heavy sliding
patio
>doors, of which my very un-English house has about half a dozen).
>WD-40 leaves an oily residue that leaves marks on anything in touches;

WD-40 -- which, btw, is essentially kerosene in a carrier -- is actually
probably the best lubricant for the lock -- after you spray in a tiny
bit, just wipe away the excess, stick the key in and remove it a few
times (sigh for good measure) and then wipe clean.

It's just too fantastic that any hardware shop hasn't got a silicone
lubricant within arm's reach of the cash register since most US hw stores
probably sell a dozen cans of the stuff an hour -- are you sure there
isn't some kind of language disjoint going on? Have you tried asking for
"silicuminium"?

>presume the same would be true of graphite, however applied. K-Y jelly
is
>an intriguing suggestion, but I assume it would collect dust and debris,
>the accumulation of which is what makes WD-40 unsatisfactory for the
>sliding doors.

Daniel's message didn't show up here, but I can't imagine he was serious.
However, try it on the key, applying liberally and inserting and removing
many, many times, and see how it feels.

>Renewed apologies for taking up everyone's time on this.

Here I am, certifiable off-topic cop that I am, encouraging you, go
figure.

-Rafe T.