Re: XY Printing under XP or Vista

John M. R. Bruner wrote:
OK, so how do I get the Xy print stream diverted from LPT1 to USB - the latter not having been invented in Xy days?
You've already done so by mapping USB to LPT1 with the
NET USE LPT1 \\computername\sharename /PERSISTENT:YES

That tells the opsys to route any application's request for LPT1 to
the USB port. Assuming that \\computername\sharename is a printer
connected to a USB port. The only gotcha is that if you're running
W9x, it won't work unless the USP printer is on ANOTHER PC. In 9x, the
NET USE command, at least in this form, will only work with a printer
that is really a NETWORK printer, attached to another PC. In W2K and
XP, it can be attached to the very same box you're running on.

So assign the Printer to LPT1 in the PP table of settings.dfl, and off
you go.

If you also have a real printer attached to LPT1 (or possibly--but
these are very old hat--a parallel port drive like a ZIP), simply make
the Net use command and the PP table refer to LPT2.
You might also want to look at Robert's message on June 10 2006 (200606100831.k5A8Vu3Z032046@xxxxxxxx) about the use of U2 frame TYN. Haven't tried it myself, because I'm still mostly on 9x, and TYP works fine.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx