Re: Backup to network

Reply to note from "R Tennenbaum"  Tue, 28 Oct
97 02:55:59 +0000

-> As I work on something in Xywrite on my desktop, I wish to
-> backup to disk space on my dialup Internet server, for whatever
-> reason. Is there any workaround which would allow me to use
-> the DOS subst command or something like it to designate my
-> directory on the server, then use Xywrite's x:,y: command to
-> use it as the backup drive?

Rafe:

I use FTP from the Xy CMline all the time to park key files on my
Web site, a sort of quick & dirty off-site backup. I don't know if
OS/2's FTP.EXE will do a hands-off command-line transfer; if it
does, then you certainly can invoke it from the CMline via Robert's
Xy-OS/2 Shell.

A much friendlier way is to use Hacksaw. Do you know it? If not,
run, don't walk, to Innoval Software at

 http://www.innoval.com/hacksaw/

and read the description and, especially, the DOC. It comes in OS/2
and Win95 flavors, which operate identically.

Hacksaw makes FTP, HTTP and E-mail send & receive via the Xy CMline
a cinch. Of course, it can be invoked directly from the OS/2 and
Win95 command prompts, or from batch files.

I've developed a bunch of XPL routines that automate many Hacksaw
operations for Xy4. I'll post them to XyWWWeb when I have a chance.
In the meantime, I'd urge anyone running either OS/2 or Win95 who
isn't already familiar with Hacksaw to read all about it at the
Innoval site. I guarantee, once you've tried it, you'll be hooked!

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/