Re: Saving to Floppy Disk under OS/2

Rafe T.:

>Actually many scsi adapters have [FDDs].

I sit corrected. But how extraordinary. I'd love to ask why; but we'd get
even further off the subject of Xy.

>SCSI is the way to go -- not only faster and more efficient, but a cinch
>when you need to add a peripheral: just unterminate, plug in, re-terminate.

Actually I thought IDE hard drives of a given size offer higher throughput
for dollar. But anyway, every computer I've had since 1990 has had a SCSI
card. Incidentally, a couple of years back I put together a system from my
own and friends' cast-offs, including an ancient, full-length Adaptec 1542A
card (I think it's called); the warnings on Adaptec's website
notwithstanding, Win95 immediately knew what the card was and a PD drive
has been contentedly using it ever since.

[Slaps hand on forehead.] Oh yes, that vintage SCSI card has [regular] FDD
support, and a jumper to disable this. That's what was meant? I was
thinking of actual SCSI FDDs. But I thought SCSI cards with sockets for
FDDs were about as common in 1998 as video cards with printer ports. Or
DisplayWrite, or Signature.

>Lately all manner of riffraff have been blaming them for things
>from read time-outs to El Ni¤o but mine works fine. . . .

El Nino! Is that what's blamed for the surprising and shocking propensity
of southern Californian beachfront property to slide into the sea? (But it
has always been sliding into the sea. I read *The Slide Area* decades ago.)

Back to Smart Words Minus.
Peter Evans