Re: Long Lost XPL Routine [was: young for life}

At 11:38 AM 10/20/01 -0500, Young For Life Products, Ltd wrote:
>The problem is that, for some reason, I am finding the documentation for XY4
>opaque. The way it comes out of the box, it does not act like XY3 in many
>ways. XY3 was always self-evident to me; I got along fine with it, but I
>seem to have some sort of block with XY4.

Funny, I never felt that way. I thought XY4 came across immediately as XY3
with a lot of dressing around it. I did not like all of it, but some of the
features are just too good to ignore.

>I'm not very smart with computer
>programming and setup; here's a question that I am sure you will find
>incredibly stupid, but, what the hell, I've gotten used to admitting my
>stupidity as I've gotten (much) older: I can't find the damn startup.int
>file or the keyboard file in my XY4. I know how to rewrite the startup.int
>file for XY3, but for some reason I'm having a devil of a time making heads
>nor tales of XY4. I would dearly love to change the define functions back to
>F1 and F3, etc.

I really do not see your problem. Go to the XY4 directory and type "dir:
*.kbd" to see what the current keyboard file is called.
Then simply rename it and put your current XY3 keyboard file in its place.
You can work immediately, and XY4 will behave exactly as your beloved XY3
did. OK, some fiddling around will be be necessarily later to get full
functionality, but as I remember I had no problems whatsoever to work
immediately with XY4.
I would be the last person who would want to change keyboard habits. In
fact, my XY keyboard is adjusted to use all the old WordStar commands,
which I learned so many years ago and certainly do not intend to un-learn!

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo