Assistance/advice in reinstalling XyWin?

Dear colleagues

After reformatting my hard disk in Win98, I've been unable to reinstall
XyWin. I've tried
(A) copying the old installation (which I had copied onto a CD-ROM before
reformatting the C: drive);
(B) using the original 3.5-inch floppy disks (XyWin 4.12J).

(A) produces a maimed installation with numerous error messages and (among
numerous other imperfections) no access to the Windows printer driver; (B)
doesn't work at all -- the instruction in the XyWin "Installation &
Learning Guide" to "run a:install" produces the Windows error message that
"a:install" can't be found. (I append directories of my three floppies
labelled "XyWrite 4.12J.")

This is a reinstallation, not a first time on this PC, but I'm blest if I
know what I did (more or less) right before.

Help will be greatly appreciated. You can't imagine (well, perhaps you can)
how infuriating it is to work with Word97 when you've been XyWriting for
years; and XyDOS doesn't cut it when it comes to printing on my HP 5L.

TIA
Eric Van Tassel

Disk 1 [see PS below]:

XWHELP  HLP   1178633  10-04-94 12:43pm
   1 Files  1178633 Char.  253440 Free

Disk 2:

XWBMP   DLL    83120  10-03-94  5:07pm
XWDLG   DLG   751944  10-04-94 11:20am
XWDLL   DLL    3584  10-03-94  5:07pm
XWOEMDLL DLL    3584  10-03-94  5:07pm
XWREX   DLL    52224  10-03-94  5:07pm
XWRIM   DLL    72704  10-03-94  5:07pm
XWRUL   DLL    12800  10-03-94  5:07pm
   7 Files   979960 Char.  477184 Free

Disk 3:

XW    EXE   771664  10-03-94  5:09pm
XWMENU  MNU    50232  10-03-94  6:09pm
   2 Files   821896 Char.  634880 Free

PS: I don't pretend to understand why, but Windows Explorer shows an
additional file on Disc 1: XWHELP.GID (25 Kb), dated 13-05-00 [sic]. In
view of the date, this file must have been _added_ to the floppy at some
point while it was being used in my current system.