Printer Problem

Ever since the earthquake, I have been having problems with my HP-LJ Series II
printer. (It remained solidly on the desk, and nothing fell on it, but it sure
did bounce around.) The problem is constant paper jams -- with all kinds of
paper stock, and envelopes even worse.  Now I suppose the timing of this could
just be a coincidence. Or maybe something in the paper-handling mechanics of
the printer has gotten bent out of shape. Just by visual inspection, I don't
notice anything unusual. The unit is 5 years old, but is only on its 3rd.
toner cartridge, and is kept covered when not in use.

Do paper trays on these printers go bad? (Actually, a sheet or env. hand-fed
through the guide on top of the tray is apt to jam up just the same.) If
anyone out there has an idea about this, I'd really like to hear it, since the
last quote I heard from HP service was ridiculous. And I was hoping I could
draw the line here at having lost a monitor. Maybe there is something I am
overlooking in the "ordinary user maintentance" area that might account for
the problem and provide for a solution. Any ideas will be appreciated.