Answer found re failure of NET USE LPT1 to redirect LPT1

Harry wrote:
Winter is a good time for this, since I tend to be inside, where there are more walls to bang my head against.

Good one. If only we could find a problem that *needs* solving . . . but this seems to be the only thing left unknown in the universe.

Well, I'm going to have to find something more worthwhile to do this winter.

I tried a few piecemeal solutions, but in the end uninstalling and reinstalling both Printer and File Sharing and Client for Microsoft Networks appeared to be the only way to fix the issue I had with "net use lpt1". It should probably have been my first choice, because it was certainly simple enough. I found that I also had to delete my printer, and then establish sharing on the reinstalled printer. Once all that was done, and once I used the net use command to redirect LPT1 to my USB printer, I realized that there is another way to determine or verify your computer name and printer share name.

In a command prompt window, "net view" will show computers on the network (assuming file and printer sharing is enabled):

"C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>net view
"Server Name            Remark
"
"-----------------------------------------------------
"\\DAD                  Computer in Mom & Dad's Room
"\\OFFICE               Office Computer
"The command completed successfully."

Then, issue "net view office" to see the shared resources on \\office:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Paul>net view office
"Shared resources at office
"
"Office Computer
"
"Share name  Type   Used as  Comment
"
"-----------------------------------------------------
"CLP510      Print  LPT1     Samsung CLP-510 Series
"SharedDocs  Disk
"The command completed successfully."

If the "net use lpt1 \\COMPUTERNAME\PRINTERSHARENAME /persistent:yes" command has not been issued, you won't see LPT1 under the "Used as" header above.

-pl

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie