Re: sound with Xy on Windows machine

Well, I tried tweaking the volume slider in the tray. No luck. Then I
went into the CMOS and disabled the sound card. Still no beeps in Xy.
Swapped the speakers to the old PC, booted into DOS, and ran Xy. Nice
beeps. So on the old machine, I get beeps from the built-in speaker, even
with the sound card and external speakers enabled. On the new, not a peep
from the case speaker, even on bootup (i.e., before any Redmond rubbish
loads). It occurs to me that I may simply have a dead--or
misconnected--speaker on the new machine. After all, the battery was dead
and the IDE cable died, so why should the speaker be an exception? (I can
hear Robert saying, "I told you so"; but actually, the main components
are OK.) I think there's a working speaker in one of the old systems in
the office I can cannibalize. Will see what that accomplishes.
Patricia