Re: OT: edit "uneditable" PDF file

Hi All,

On Dec 23, 2005, at 12:14 AM, J R FOX wrote:
Maybe someone who knows can give me a quick answer on
this. PDFs are supposed to be locked down, such that
they can't be edited. I take it then that you
probably can't print one to a file, do some *very*
minor editing on it with Xy or a Hex editor (in this
case, change a couple of dates mentioned in the text),
and then print out the edited version ? Or might that
actually work ?
I agree with everything that Robert has said. The only thing that i
would add is that you 'can' do some lite editing of a pdf, IF the
text is accessible, as text, in the PDF file. (It may not be, be
aware.) Also i would only recommend doing just minimal editing this
way. A lot of the spacing and kerning of your text is in the PDF
file, so replaced text may look funny.
I would also recommend Acrobat Professional, if possible. The amount
of other functionality, as well as this type of editing makes it
worthwhile, IMO.

Russ