Re: overcoming the XP lag

At 11/1/2004 09:19 PM -0800, Si Wright wrote:
The larger question--and I'm not even sure what to
search in the archive to yield this answer, so forgive
me if this is redundant--is how to make XY4 work as
fast under XP at 1.6 Ghz as it did a decade ago on
Win95 at 75 Mhz. I know it's no longer running on a
DOS kernel but on a Telnet or graphics DOS emulator,
but is there any way to get it not to pause for those
annoying milliseconds? Win98 compatibility mode has
made no difference.
To this point...last night I finally downloaded SP2 onto an XP Pro IBM T41,
added RH's suggested MODE CON: RATE=32 DELAY=2, double checked the pif to
make sure idle sensitivity was turned off, removed U2 from startup (this to
get rid of the double cursor) made sure SL defaulted to 25 and tried XyDos
in a window (DosBox). I found what CD reported here recently and what SW
reports above: there's still a noticeable delay -- slight, yes, but very
annoying -- in simple cursor movement or typing. For me, this is more than
YMMV, which is to say a matter of preference. After two hours of writing,
that cursor "lag," "drag," whatever, becomes a loadstone. There seem to be
no tweaks that will cure it. Running W98 in a virtual machine effects the
same behavior. I have not tested TAME with XP/SP2 and wonder whether that
will make any difference.
Michael Norman