re Postscript and ...

Ken Frank writes: "I need to learn a little more about our
history where
PostScript is concerned, and about the technical issues involved.
That way, when I do respond about something, not only can I be
candid, but I can be well informed." --K.

Ken: I hope you will, because it's not a trivial matter.
xyWrite's obliviousness to PS damages xyWrite's credibility as a
prepress app. As I've said till everyone's sick of it--but it's
true: PostScript is the global publishing industry standard.
(When Chet Gottfried and I agree on something you *should* take
note. ;) ) Adobe's corporate outlook was extraterrestrial till
True Type introduced some reality, but TT fonts are garbage; Type
1 are top quality and finally reasonably priced. PS itself is a
page description language without rivals for professional use;
HP's PCL is strictly for office printers. The same PS file can be
proofed on an office printer and printed on the highest-res
imagesetter.

One of many little things that add up to the critical mass
turning me off xyDos 4 is that my system is standardized on PS.
At least when I use v3,
Bitstream fonts aren't involved. Dan Kanagy suggested a splendid
alternative months ago, a font engine collaboration with
SoftMaker, the foundry that supplies one for WP and Word. He even
supplied SoftMaker's address and phone number. Given TTG's stance
on xyDos, I don't suppose you'll ever make the call, but I hope
you learn enough about PS to understand why doing so would
improve xyDos exponentially. I assume that ATM takes care of
xyWin type needs, but a Windows word processor that doesn't
import EPS images seems pointless to me. I might as well continue
taskswitching v3 under Windows and using the gui word processor I
use now or QuarkXPress.    --annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc