RE: XyWin and PDFs

We've all said disparaging things about XyWin, but it just spared me
the painful necessity of using Weird for something, which I should
have hated. I wanted to convert a Xy text file to PDF. The file
included place-names in Romania, as spelled in the late 19th and early
20th centuries--involving tees and esses with cedillas under them. No
such characters in PostGhst.prn (my own fault: last time he revised
that, Robert asked us all--asked me specifically--if we wanted any
characters added, but I said nothing). So the PDF had blank spaces.
WordImPerfect could produce the characters, but only in a non-matching
font. (I mayn't be able to ID a font at sight, like some here, but I
didn't read proof for 15 years without being able to spot a WrongFont
when I see it.) Weird could do it, but.... Then I pulled the file up
in XyWin, printed to a file using a Windows Postscript printer driver
(always have one installed on my system), ran it through GSView's
PDFWrite, and Voilà! So if you have XyWin and can make it work (we've
really GOT to figure out WHY it works on some XP systems and not
others), keep it handy for converting files with recondite characters.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx