RE: Insert/Overstrike Indication

Brian Henderson wrote:

> none of your suggestions seem to have any effect.

No, I'm not over-surprised. It seems an odd combination you've got.
Xy has settings for cursor colors - DD & CT: see page 6-83 of the manual.
One thing which may be upsetting the cursor is another program. I've had programs which reset the
cursor - turning on a different number of lines in the character `box' (including sizes &
shapes suitable for old Hercules cards - which weren't compatible with EGA). I've even got a
program I wrote (in assembler) to allow setting the cursor to any size one likes. If you'd like a
copy, I'll see if I can find it - it's tiny.

> In overstrike mode, the Command brackets don't get overwritten...is that what you mean by
> "conditional overwrite feature", John?

No - or at least not just that. It means a mode which is half way been insert and overstrike:
in it, the program overwrites letters but not spaces and other separators.
If you've got say the text:

 sacred bananas

on screen and you go back and position the cursor on the "e" of sacred then type
"ificial",

- in overwrite mode you end up with "sacrificialnas"
- in insert mode you end up with "sacrificialed bananas"
- in word overstrike mode you end up with "sacrificial bananas"

If a Windows program had that, it would obviate the need for a good deal of the oh! so ergonomic
chasing around between Control +V +C +X etc. and the (shift +) cursor keys.