Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: Opening and closing single quotes
** Reply to message from "George Scithers"
 on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:26:10 -0400
My XyWrite -- a 3.57 -- seems unable to distinguish between an
opening single quote (` or ANSI 0145) and a closing single quote
(' or ANSI 0146) when searching or doing a search-and-replace.

You mean, it can't distinguish between 96 (`) and 145 (left
single curly quote), or between 39 (') and 146 (right single
curly quote) -- or between 145 and 146 -- or what exactly do you
mean? You're aware, of course, that tweezing ANSI results out
of a word processor designed for ASCII can be a bit tricky?
Hope you're using an ANSI font to view 145 and 146, otherwise
they won't appear "curly" (they'll be æ/Æ
diphthongs/ligatures)...
Now, since XyWrite is ASCII, ae and AE (145 and 146) are treated
as lower and UPPER case twins, no different than "a" and "A" or
"b" and "B". So to distinguish them, you need to use SEA
instead of SE, CIA instead of CI or CH.

To remove that "twinning", you need to redefine the uppercase
table, which is called "UC<" in Xy4 and appears in a printer
file, usually the DFL file (it is an optional thing, and usually
doesn't appear at all, relying instead on built-in defaults,
which are ASCII). I can't remember whether Xy3 even has an
uppercase table -- check your manual. U2 for Xy4 has all sorts
of utilities to harmonize ASCII and ANSI -- you can even turn
Xy4 into an ANSI word processor without too much trouble (we
call this implementation "ANSIfied XyWrite").

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx