doctype and elephants

(1)

Here's a doctype for XHTML:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml

(2)
In the joke, as I remember it (in English), the German submitted
an 800-page "Short introduction to the study of the elephant."

I can improve on that, using the wonderful German word "Wesen" which
means "essence, being," etc. (insofar as it can be said to mean
anything at all outside of technical philosophical vocabulary, where I
doubt (as a good Pragmatist) that it means anything either), but is
used in all sorts of compound nouns like "Bildungswesen" (literally
"education-essence", meaning something like "school system"). So the
German writes "Eine kurze Einführung in das Wesen des Elephanten."

To avoid character set problems, here it is in HTML:
"Eine kurze Einführung in das Wesen des Elephanten"

So much for elephantology.

--
Emery Snyder