Re: Backup--OT

That is a great starting point. What we don't know is how well any of
these systems will work upon testing. There is little demand for laptops
running RAID 1, though there is some, and there must be forums where such
concerns are addressed (probably by movie people for whom it is a hot
issue). Several years ago, at least 15, there was a ruggedized laptop
manufacturer who advertised a system with built-in RAID 1. Remember that
in those days, laptop drives were even less reliable than now, and
I thought it made a lot of sense. I talked to this manufacturer
and asked how many he had sold. 'Guess,' he said. I guessed various
figures in the thousands and hundreds. 'Not even close,' he said. Well,
how many then? 'None,' was the laconic reply.

There's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8Czra3SBA; eudora="autourl"> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW8Czra3SBA

which shows that booting an iMac with internal drive takes 38 seconds while booting from Thunderbolt SSD takes only 12.

But the test we are interested in is boot time for the identical SSD, used built-in and via Thunderbolt.

It has been demonstrated (by LaCie and Intel when Tbolt came out) that it requires four or five SSDs operating in striped mode (RAID 0-ish - - the fastest of all posible disk modes) to saturate Tbolt.

But everything depends!

One of the nicest things about booting from an external on a Mac is that the external will work on so many systems . . . .