Re: Qwerty and Dvorak touch-typing.

Michael,

Well, I must admit that on those (rare) occasions I'm forced to use Qwerty
(almost always on a standard typewriter) I revert to hunt-and-peck. My
Qwerty touch-typing skills are completely gone.

As for my friend, she regularly typed on both keyboards--Qwerty at work,
Dvorak at home. And, from what she told me, she had no problem moving from
one to the other. (She learned Dvorak because she was into "speed-typing"
and actually went to competitions of some sort.)

Yes, it is a Qwerty-world. And there is little hope that Dvorak will ever
make much of a dent in it. What I meant by my comment, though, was that it
is easy to implement Dvorak. My wife and I share a computer at home. I
keep an icon on my status bar that let's my wife switch to Qwerty whenever
she's at the machine. And setting up DOS to run with Qwerty is, again,
simplicity itself. Microsoft still posts the files (at least they were
there the last time I looked). And there are other DOS conversion utilities
if you want to avoid Microsoft. When I travel and I know that I'm going to
have to spend a good deal of time at someone else's computer I take a
diskette with me that has both windows and DOS Dvorak layouts. I have, now
on a number of occasions, simply installed these files on the computer I'm
using; when I have finished my work I simply delete them (at least the DOS
files). This has never been a big deal; and whatever inconvenience it has
caused has certainly been offset by the benefits of Dvorak.

For years, I used a conversion utility by Seasoned Systems out of Chapel
Hill N.C. They also had an excellent Dvorak typing tutor.  A very basic
tutor; but it did the job. (I don't think Seasoned Systems is still in
business. And given the antiquity of this program I don't think anyone
would mind if I passed a copy along to you-- that is, if I can find it.) I
have heard that the Mavis Beacon typing program can also be used to learn
Dvorak. However, I've never investigated this.

There was also a computer book I once owned that was devoted entirely to the
Dvorak keyboard. It was in this book that I first learned about Seasoned
Systems as well as the company in Hawaii that sold Selectric conversion kits
etc.

There is information out there if you're willing to look.

Phil Ferreira