Re: Spellchecking

I wouldn't think of letting a spell checker beep at me every time
I type a proper noun, so I always batch-check the file using the
SPELL command. It is very fast. The result is a list of words
that are not approved by the dictionary, and by your personal one
of you have loaded it. I go through the list and remove
everything that is not a possible spelling error. I then place
after each possible error the correct form. It is then simple
enough to record a macro that searches out each instance of the
possibly wrong word (the 2 files in adjacent windows, using CV
for search) and lets you decide whether to
"fix" it (and then erases that pair of words in the spell file
and moves to the next).

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania