Re: The Y2K problem

≪ It is my understanding that any Y2K problem that XYW or
XW faces is NOT a problem for the word processor BUT is a
BIOS problem. [...] Am I wrong and is TTG on the hook or
is it a BIOS problem? ≫ --Dick Giering (dick.giering@xxxxxxxx)

Hi, Dick. It's a software-correctable bios problem. Compaq
did a massive overhaul of my little laptop a few months ago
and I *think* gave me a y2k-compliant bios, but I don't know
for sure. If it didn't, I have the security of knowing that
my OS--a dos that, installed over win95, offers dual-booting--
compensates.

When I reset the system date to 2 dec 2000 and load
xyW 3.57, the dir listing for this file is

	2000TEST       2385  12-02-00  4:36p

and, more to the point, xyW 3's today command generates:

While I reset the system date to 1998, the date command
gives the current date as Sat 12-02-2000. Saturday is
consistent with the Saturday that the !xyWiz today
command supplement !D prefixes to 2 December 2000.

In my case, anyway, thanks to XyQuest, Caldera, and
probably Compaq, TTG is off the hook:

≪ The DR-DOS [7.02] kernel will now correct any year 2000
problems you may have, even if your BIOS does not support
the year 2000. Year 2000 support comes in two forms:

1. If the BIOS reports the year is 1900 - 1980, DR-DOS will
  set the century to 20xx. For example, 1900 becomes 2000,
  1917 becomes 2017 and so forth.

2. If DR-DOS is running at midnight on the 31st of December
  1999, it will still report the year 2000, even if the BIOS
  reports 1900.

(The documentation goes on to say that CONFIG.SYS command
	YEAR2000=OFF
can turn off #2, which may be desirable when using Quarterdeck
memory manager QEMM's Stealth and quick-boot features.)

Btw, DR-DOS works correctly with win95 long filenames
EXCEPT that using DR-DOS chkdsk, diskopt, or delwatch
can be destructive. In the strictly vaporware department,
"Caldera is addressing this issue and will update these
utilities to work with long filenames in a subsequent
release of DR-DOS." We'll see. ... Ciao. 			--a

	xyW3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's nautical adventures: