Re: script for USB printers

Patricia,

Thanks

>Maybe I'm way off base here,

hardly

>but I got the impression
>Philip was trying to print to the one printer over both
>USB and parallel connections, and to switch back and
>forth.

yes, sort of. But more like printing over either parallel or USB (rather than both...and).  I
wanted to nail down the USB capability, because I know I'm going to need it, and soon, though for
now I'm spoiled by using the cable and not having to wait the 20-30 seconds for the first page that
goes with using LPT1 redirected toUSB. And it would be best for me to have both capabilities
without having to reboot to change. Which I now appear to have.

> (Cannot imagine why, since on 2K/XP you CAN map
>a USB port to an LPT for use with DOS apps.)

missed this, somehow. Forgive me for raising a matter of syntax (considering it's Patricia writing)
but I think of my task as mapping LPT1 to USB, not USB to LPT.  If 2K can do this itself, I would
be delighted to hear more

> If so, HP
>says you shouldn't,

shouldn't what?  alternate between USB and parallel from one PC? can you point me to a reference
for this so I can keep from doing myself unintended harm? HP's caveat seems odd, given your remark
immediately below

though one evidently CAN connect
>two PCs to one printer, one through the USB connection,
>one through the parallel. As a matter of fact, I have
>that setup at the office.

YEs, I have that here, too, and it works without a problem, though there is often an extra
first-page delay when the printer has to switch from one to another

Thanks again. I appreciate your interest, and always enjoy your posts

Philip