Re: OT semi-colons

David B. Kronenfeld wrote:
Sometimes, of course, things just are confusing. For much of my youth I heard "Silent Night"
Ah, yes. I once had a whole dossier of things kids had mis-heard and
mis-said from the staples of their school life. I pledge a legion (for
"pledge allegiance"), Harold be Thy name ("Hallowed be Thy name"), Lead
us not into Penn Station ("lead us not into temptation"), Gladly, the
cross-eyed bear ("Gladly the Cross I'd bear"; evidently a Protestant
hymn unfamiliar to this cradle Catholic), carnivorous lapwings ("Thou
green crested lapwing, thy screaming for bear"; from Burns' "Sweet
Afton"). And so on. (Hmm, kids seem to be fixated on bears. Oh, well,
influence of their Teddy Bears and Pooh, I suppose.)

Patricia M. Godfrey