Re: A wild new idea for the future of XyWrite

Hi Jordan,

I want to let you know that I spent much time to test XyWrite 3 before trying out XyWrite 4 during the development of vDos-lfn, so I would like to say that I do support both Xy3 and Xy4, even though U2 only works for Xy4. In fact, vDos-lfn for XyWrite is optimized for both Xy3 and Xy4 in a number of ways, and I can list a few examples for this if you want. So again, while U2 is designed only for Xy4, vDos-lfn for XyWrite is designed for both Xy3 and Xy4 (and also NB3). I never only supported Xy4 during the development of vDos-lfn.

Wengier

On Sunday, July 17, 2016 4:16 PM, J R FOX wrote:

Thanks again, Wengier.  I will try this out next opportunity at the office.

Actually, it is mainly Xy-3 that is used at that location (not so much by me), although there is also Xy-4 available.  I think that takes U2 library out of the mix, most likely EMSmagic also, and may complicate matters in other ways as well.  I did previously have that setup working there under the earlier vDosXy -- for Xy-3 -- in most all respects apart from the printing.

I don't want to over-complicate your activities here, and would not expect you to also be supporting the earlier XyWrite, which has a number of key differences to Xy-4, and which a small minority of this List still uses.

   Jordan

From: Wengier W
To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxx"
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2016 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: A wild new idea for the future of XyWrite

Hi Jordan,

You could in fact consider vDos-lfn for XyWrite as "vDosXy 2.0" or so, and it has more features and better support for XyWrite too. EMSMagic is included as part of the vDos-lfn for XyWrite 1.51 installation, so you simply need to unREM the line that loads EMSMagic in autoexec.txt, which is very simple. And for printing, actually you don't need to install Ghostscript in order to print from vDos-lfn at all. I agree that the Ghostscript solution is complicated, and you can in fact avoid it completely. To make the printing work, you can simply add the directive "LPT1=/SEL" in config.txt. Then any printing to LPT1 within vDos-lfn will cause the Windows printer selection dialog to be displayed. Then you simply choose the printer you want to use as you do with native Windows applications. Hope this helps.

Wengier