Re: imaging software / multiple images

Flash  wrote:

> Thirty minutes before the training
> begins, the tech assistant comes by w/a CD-ROM and boots every pc from
> it. Presto, I have w2k or whatever and all the apps I specified, in
> English or German. Evidently there is no problem about sorting out the
> drive letters, as you surmise. At other facilities, the images are
> stored on a server; as the pc boots, a menu appears on screen offering
> a choice of OSs, all below Windows level--looks similar to a DOS-level
> boot-manager screen but may not be DOS in fact. Each pc then draws the
> selected image from the server over the LAN and boots it. Again, drive
> letters are not an issue. I'll have to ask them what imaging system(s)
> they are using.

Acronis True Image? Boots from CD (using a flavor of unix, I think) and
recognizes all sorts of drives, USB, and network connections just fine.
The latest version (9) restores even large partitions in a matter of
minutes. The image creation process can be done reliably under Windows
_while the OS is running_ (even though just for peace of mind I
sometimes boot from the CD to do it). Allows image-based or file-based
restore. Runs circles around Norton Ghost or any other imaging software
I've used so far. The Home version is very reasonably priced and has a
trial download. No, I don't work for them.

http://www.acronis.com/

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx