Re: FW: Re: FW: Windows 95

>Harmon, have you actually installed Win95 and run it as a child of OS/2?
>This is my preference, but I can't find any reliable reports about it! Will

  There's been some discussion about it on comp.os.os2.apps,
But, I don't think anyone has got it to actually replace win3.1
-- although it might well do it with further tweaking.

>the sky fall in? Will it boot from DOS-OS/2, or do you run it
as a "DOS
>from Drive A:" type of object (a virtual disk)? Did you
encounter any
>installation|operation wrinkles?

 No, what you do is make a system disk from an installed win95
system. Then take that, put it in a:, and do the "boot from a:".
You really need to have the full installation on an accessible
partition (from OS/2) and paths on the floppy to direct things
properly, etc, to do much experimentation, which
I haven't had time nor inclination for -- but someone on the comp
group was talking about having done a fairly thorough test of
using the OS/2 dual-boot feature (having both systems on the same
partition, and playing around with that. I haven't seen anything
about anyone actually trying to run a win95 native app that way.
I know I can't get Linux to do anything but crash the window in
"boot from a:" tho. 8-)

 Does the Win95 sniffer screw around with
>OS/2?

  Don't know -- I haven't installed it on my machine. A friend
installed it on his, but over DOS, and then uninstalled it when
he couldn't get his BBS to work right on it.

 (snip, snip)

>By the way, where _exactly_ in Asia is it? Because I'm over there all the
>time... so it wouldn't be much trouble...

  Oh, just say it faster. It'll come to you.

-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx

We have found the Fountain of Youth in Asia!

=============
Microsoft Network, or any service owned in full or in part by
Microsoft, is prohibited from redistributing this work in any
form, in whole or in part.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this
post is available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or
equivalent local currency.
Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these
terms. Please send notices of violation to hseaver@xxxxxxxx
and postmaster@xxxxxxxx.