Re: Brother laser (semi-O.T. ?)

J R FOX wrote:

> are now flimsy junk, made as
cheaply as possible. It may cost as much as $400., but it is still made to be a disposable product: when it wears out after a year or two, the most sensible and economical choice will be to take it to the dumpster or recycler, and get a new unit.

What price being ecofriendly?
ScanSoft, which seems to have gobbled up all of its former scanning / OCR competitors. I avoid anything from them like the plague, because it drives so many hooks deep into your Registry that you need a block of C-4 to pry them loose. You can't uninstall their stuff without Tech Support walking you through it.
Yes, that was the OCR SW that came with it. Abby FineReader is
good, but very dear. I was lucky enough to get a copy cheap when
they were getting ready to release a new version.
Does *anyone* still offer tech support that is _not_ wretched and abysmal ?
I actually had a good experience with Epson, when my older
printer (just a printer) went haywire a month after the warranty
expired. But they were being sued (class action) about then, so
may have been on their best behavior. Anyway, they repaired it
with no charge but S&H.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx