Re: file management with XyDos and DOS & UNIX

Mimi Gauthier LeBien wrote:

> I'll look up information for ZTree. It sounds along the lines of QDos. By
> the
> way, whatever happened to QDOS?

Mimi,

If memory serves, QDOS was from a company called Gazelle Systems, or Gazelle
Software. Most companies of that era are no more, along with their products.
ZTree
is actually a continuation of the popular XTree file manager, with many
structural
limitations removed, and a great many new or improved features. It is, however,
straight file manager, built on the old model of tree-structured Directories and
Files,
rather than folders. I find it vastly preferable to Windows Explorer, for
example . . .
but then I came up in computing in the DOS era. There are versions for OS/2 and

for Win-32, though apparently not for Linux.

> Basically - the company has ended up with a huge amount of mish-mash, cut
> and paste "styles" of file management and tracking. They receive dictations
> from 100s of doctors all over the country and then farm out the dictations.
> Every transcriptionist sends the reports in different ways - some through
> e-mail, some send floppies by mail and some send via PCAnywhere.  To
> complicate matters, many of the doctors insist on working in MSWord so that
> they can correct their own documents

I can see how that would make it especially difficult to pull this whole
menagerie
together. Maybe one of those emulation layers _would_ make sense in such an
environment. If the cost wasn't too great, and the tech manpower resources are
available at your company, perhaps it could be tried out first experimentally on

one test-bed system ? I'll be glad to pass along that URL I mentioned, if you
are
interested.

On the heavy-duty document management issue, the best I could do would be to
leaf through some old Comdex directories (I usually kept them going back 3 or 4
years), and see if any leads jump out that might be worth pursuing.

Jordan