Re: Unicomp followup

Sounds like a defective unit.  I've had no such trouble with mine.

These keyboards are meant to emulate the IBM "M" buckling spring keyboard.  It's a continuous line:  I believe Unicomp acquired the business from Lexmark, which was in turn making IBM keyboards for a few years.

From: J R FOX
To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxx"
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2018 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: Unicomp followup

I have now exchanged the ordering-mistake "terminal" edition Unicomps for the correct, left-side F-keys models.  The proper layout makes a huge difference !  Overall, I guess these will suffice, but I've noticed something that I'm wondering if any other owners can corroborate ?  In regular typing, there are occasionally key-strikes that skip -- do not enter a character -- or that double-enter the character.  It is not a major problem, but I don't think it should be happening at all.  Perhaps it has something to do with "break-in" usage,  and will in time go away ?

I have to say that this "buckling spring" tech is just not the equal of the Northgate / Avant ALPS switches.  (ALPS being an acronym for something, but I don't recall what.)  Probably nothing is.  I think the now also defunct Maxicomp keyboard that we had was much closer to the former.

Is Unicomp the sole survivor now from that crowd ?

The casual hunt & peck user may never notice, but power-typists notice the difference straight away: there were good reasons why the Omni & Avant stood out from the rest.

  Jordan