Re: OT: standalone defrag for W98 ?

In Win 98, I believe that every program you install will boot at startup, unless
you tell it otherwise. What you can do is open the startup folder and remove
items from there. When you do that, amazingly enough, it will not take five
minutes before the hourglass goes away.

"J. R. Fox" wrote:

> Leslie Bialler wrote:
>
> > There's nothing wrong with the W98 defrag. I ran it all the time when I
> > was on W98. The problem is you have to shut down all programs. What's
> > happening is that every once in a while some program that's running is
> > trying to do something, and that means the defragger has to start all over
> > again.
> >
> > Call up your task manager, and shut down everything but explorer. Then run
> > defrag.
>
> Thanks, Leslie. I wondered what might be going on, and you've just filled in
> the blanks. There are a couple kids using this PC. As you might imagine,
> they have tons of stuff (various flavors of Instant Messenger, and I don't
> know what else) loading at boot time. I'm amazed the thing boots up at all.
>
> Jordan

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)