Re: XY in DosBox (XP)

** Reply to message from Michael Norman  on Tue, 23 Mar
2004 16:12:24 -0500

> I'd been running the pif plain, which is to say without *cmd.exe /c
> c:\editor.exe* in the Cmd line: box in the program tab. I added it.

Added, or replaced? Running it plain means... directly commanding
"C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\Desktop\XY.pif" from a command line somewhere? From Start
==> Run? Or putting a PIF on the Cmd line: box in the program tab within a
desktop icon??!! Oy!

> Now, I
> still get two cursors on startup, but when I quit the program, then start
> again, the second, blinking cursor -- the one I don't want -- is gone. Also
> now, when I remove the cmd.exe line, I get the following: a message box
> labeled *16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem with the message,
> *C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\Desktop\XY.pif. The pif won't run plain, as before. (I
> wonder if running it plain established the problem.)

I suggest you Delete these icons and start over. Clean out the garbage can or
whatever its called -- Recycle Bin -- then make new icons. Look, if you have a
PIF, and you add "CMD.EXE /C " in front of the program entry, you're
essentially tricking the system into running what should be a LNK as a PIF.
Then when you delete CMD.EXE, you're tricking the trick. No wonder it's
confused! Start over. RMB ==> Shortcut ==> New... the Cmd: line should be
"d:\path\editor.exe" -- only. Why in the world are you launching a PIF
directly? The icon's properties ARE the PIF! This is a logical incongruity.

If you still have the problem, try disconnecting your mouse (external, I
presume) and do everything from the keyboard Alt-Tab, Alt-Escape. Play with
Quick Edit Mode in properties -- sometimes people have problems with that.
Give focus to a program by clicking the icon in the SysTray (bottom taskbar),
not by clicking the DOS box. Then move the mouse out of sight. Try Hide Mouse
Pointer again with your new PIF.

It continue to think it is mouse-related.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx