Re: W2K on VBox - update

Reply to note from Kari Eveli  Sun, 12 Oct 2014
11:56:32 +0300

Kari,

> I am not quite sure of the benefits of the latter-day W2K
> updates.

Yes, and I've no doubt that your advice to stick with W2K SP4 on VBox is
sound.

The information that I'm finding about the later updates is a bit vague
and more than a bit confusing. According to the following page, Rollup 1
addresses security issues (among other things) and was intended to
replace a forthcoming SP5:

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/update-rollup-replace-win2k-sp5

The post linked to below says that SP5.1 was created (evidently using
undocumented tools) by someone called Gurgelmeyer, who was at work on
SP5.2 when he fell silent:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156521-unofficial-sp-52-for-microsoft-windows-2000/

(The last Gurgelmeyer version, 5.1.2195.24, is the one I installed and
linked to in my post yesterday.)

The author of the msfn.org post, tomasz86 (a/k/a Tomasz W.), says that
he's at work on a SP5.2 but, as of 26 April 2012 (the date of his post),
there's "still a long way to go for the final version of the USP5.2 to
be ready" and in the meantime recommends "using UURollup, Update Rollup
2, addons and single updates which are listed on my website." The portal
to his website is: http://www.windows2000.tk/archive. The entry point
for W2K files is here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPUWRCcTJucTFxbjg&tid=0Bw_nt4aAJIoPWWNBay13dTlXOWs#list

I have no idea whether these updates are sound and am not suggesting
that anyone should install them. Just letting you know they're out there.

I'm not inclined to roll back my current W2K installation since, aside
from the minor issue of photos in Firefox, everything is purring along
nicely. (BTW, there is no problem displaying photos in IE8; the problem
with IE8 is that many websites no longer support it.) But if anyone here
is planning to install W2K on VBox, I'd certainly follow Kari's advice
to stop at SP4. I'd be interested to know whether stopping at SP4 solves
the problem with photos in FF -- in other words, whether the later W2K
updates are the source of that problem.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx